Saturday, July 25, 2009

Lunch at the Blue Onion Cafe



Rick and I had lunch today at the Blue Onion Cafe. We have had a nice and relaxing day so far enjoying the garden outside the cafe. The birds were singing and the leaves on the trees were gently blowing. The ingredients for our lunch were picked right out of the cafe garden.

Oh, guess what? The cafe is right in the corner of my kitchen and the garden in the back yard!

I tried a new recipe for cucumber boats and they were very good served along with flat bread given to me by a friend from work. Here is the recipe from "Recipes for Life" by Rhonda Malkmus.

Cucumber Delight

6 cucumbers 4 green onions
4 cups of carrots 4 cups of celery
1 cup of fresh peas 1/4 cup fresh dill weed
1 tsp Celtic Sea salt 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Leaf lettuce

Peel cucumbers, cut them in half lengthwise and hollow out the centers. Chop the cucumber hearts, thinly slice the onions, shred the carrots, mince the dill weed, and dice the celery and place in bowl with peas. Mix in olive oil and salt and stir. Stuff the cucumbers and place on a bed of lettuce.

Now I am always modifying and using what I have on hand. Plus I only fixed 2 cucumbers so everything was only 1/3 of the quantity. My peas were frozen and thawed, I had no celery but I am not a fan of it anyway. I had dried dill weed. I also was out of olive oil but had olive oil spray.

It was quite good. We did use a small bit of ranch dressing and bacon french dressing on a few bites and on the remaining lettuce.

The cucumbers were from our garden and the lettuce was too, black seeded simpson leaf lettuce and romaine leaf lettuce. Coming fresh from our own garden made it all the better.

5 comments:

  1. This looks too pretty to eat! Next time I come to visit, I want to go to the Blue Onion Cafe! All Rick's & your hard work has paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very creative Mom! I really thought you'd gone out somewhere! :o) Sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a delightful place to eat and thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete