Saturday, February 20, 2010

Scrapbooking A Spiritual Journey

One of the ladies I work with showed me her scrapbook yesterday. I have never seen one like this. It started out with a picture of the little church where she got saved. One that her dad first pastored. Pages shared her favorite scriptures. Then one of she and her sisters that sang together when they were young. On the opposite page from this was a sheet of music of her favorite hymn. She is still working on it as she gathers with scrapbooking friends once a month. I am curious to see what she adds on additional pages. And inspired to pull out my own pictures of my spiritual journey.

I have been doing more journaling lately, here and in my private word file.I hope that sharing my thoughts here or leaving a journal behind for my children and grandchildren will let them and my friends know the real me. I certainly learned many good things about my mother last year as we sorted through notes, lists and pictures that she kept. She was not real open in conversations about sharing her heart. But friends and family and God were very important as was seen on paper. Maybe that is where I get my desire for sharing better in writing than I can in the spoken word. But I am slowly learning to share out loud.

My mind just now brought a connection of this sharing to what I have been reading in the Bible this morning.
Psalm 119:108 "...accept the freewill offerings of my mouth, O Lord..." Hosea 14:2 "...we render the calves of our lips"  This in Hosea was written when God's people were being admonished for their sins. And they were asked to turn back to the Lord, asking for their iniquity to be taken away so that they could give the calves of their lips. Looking up calve in the dictionary, to calve means to give birth or new life. My feeling is that turning to the Lord in repentance from sin gives birth to a new kind of conversation from our lips. The Bible talks about offering sacrifices of praise, singing a new song. Psalms 19:14 "Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my strength and my redeemer."

1 comment:

  1. Maybe that is where I get my note taking and journalling from too. Although I'm not sure I'm as thorough as Grandma or Aunt Elouise! They wrote just about everything down. I enjoyed reading things she wrote. It's a good idea. Glad you are doing it too. :o)

    ReplyDelete