Friday, February 26, 2010

Spiritual Perception


Perception-act or process of becoming aware of or understanding, insight (Webster Dictionary)

The Bible talks of perception as a good thing. Hebrews 5:14 "...those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil."  Having our spiritual senses in tune with God and His word is what gives us the "lamp unto our feet, and a light to our path" Psalms 119:105.

Back in Hebrews 5:11-14 the writer was talking to a people dull of hearing, needing to be taught the first principles of the Word of God, not able to discern or perceive right from wrong.

You see if I don't study God's Word and spend time with Him in meditation and prayer I can have Him tuned out. I would not be able to see clearly. Psalms 82:2 & 5 "How long will he judge unjustly and accept the person of the wicked?"..."They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course." Vision is cloudy when we are not in tune with God, everything is out of place. Proverbs 29:18 "Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keeps the Word, happy is he."

Perception or discernment is important. If I choose to be dull of hearing God, tuning Him out, I hear only what I want to hear and sinful or unwise actions don't trouble me or convict me at all.

As I read in the Old Testament and the New Testament, the people that practiced "seek and you will find" sought God and His will and were able to perceive if someone was a holy man or not sent of God. As Jesus walked among men and women, those that wanted truth and holiness and searched for it with their whole heart were the ones that recognized Jesus for Who He is. Others who had a form of religion fought against Him.

Are you "vaccinated" with a "touch" of "religion"? If so, that keeps you from getting the "real" thing. In this case vaccination is not a good thing. 

2 comments:

  1. Good thoughts. Thanks for sharing. I've looked that word up too since it has been used a lot lately. I knew the over all meaning of it, but I just wanted to see what the dictionary had to say about it.

    Perceive- (1a: to attain awareness or understanding of -b: to regard as being such (2: to become aware of through the senses;

    ReplyDelete