Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Will I be a John the Baptist? Will I take up my cross?

Awoke this morning thinking of John the Baptist. He had a calling: to prepare the way for Christ. And in that preparing he rebuked some religious leaders, Pharisees. When these leaders came to John to be baptized, John refused and rebuked telling them they needed to show some repentance. To the publicans he said Don't require more money than you're supposed to. To the soldiers "Do no violence, nor accuse falsely and be satisfied with your wages." The point that came to me this morning was, John didn't try to make a reputation for himself. He was there to "clear the table" so to speak for Christ. So he didn't mince any words or waste any time. He got to the point with people.

How did his words affect the friends of his parents? His father was a priest. His parents were aged and had worshiped in the temple many, many years. In the gospels, I know specifically in Matthew, Jesus said he that loves Mother or Father or son or daughter more than me, is not worthy of me. We cannot put ourself or others ahead of God. John could not worry about what would his parents friends think or his own friends or those religious leaders of the temple where John had grown up. He had a job to do: clear the way for Jesus. Jesus was bringing salvation and people had to know right up front that there would be no "playing church", repentance and sincerity are required here.

To be continued.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this post. I have a small bible time/study with my boys each day. Yesterday we were talking about Daniel in the lions den. And for a few minutes I sat just looking at the picture-visuals..a must for kids:) My heart realized that Daniel was willing to give up his life for God. So I know it must of been amazing for you, as you thought of John the Baptist.

    God bless

    ReplyDelete